USTA Rhode Island Board of Directors – Minutes – August 19, 2019
HALL OF FAME, NEWPORT
Board Members In Attendance: Doug Chapman, Steven Cohen, Mo Raissi, Sandy Sweet, Anne Sullivan, Ryan Harry, Paul Brazenor, Frank Laliberte, Courtney Smith
Absent: Terry Charles, Randy Osga
Also in attendance: Christy Bennett, TSR
Doug Chapman called the meeting to order at 3:10pm.
Secretary’s report: Minutes from the last meeting were reviewed. Moh Raissi made a motion to accept. Ryan Harry seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Treasurer’s report: Reviewed and filed.
President’s report: Doug Chapman talked about the high school tennis expenses and the possible need to have a budget for the next year. He also talked about the removal of Gordie Ernst’s name on the College Tennis award. Also, mentioned the need to do something about the Bruck’s high school scholarship.
Adult League report: Anne Sullivan gave a short report about the past season and the upcoming League Committee meeting.
USTA NE Player Development: Shawna Fors introduced herself to the Board and talked about changes planned for the tournaments for 2021 making a more standard format across all USTA sections. Changes to be voted on at the Board meeting at the US Open.
USTA New England report: Christy Bennett reported the following:
- Tennis Weekend will be held November 15-16 in Massachusetts. The RI board will pay the registration fee for any Board member who wants to attend.
- The JTT sectionals were held this past weekend with 14 and under intermediate and 18 and under intermediate and advanced.
- Central Falls Learning Community is working to become an NJTL. There is going to be after school tennis. There is now going to be two public tennis courts built in Central Falls.
Adaptive Tennis Report: Adaptive tennis is scheduled to be held on Mondays from 5:30 – 8:30pm in Somerset.
Tennis on Campus: Paul Brazenor and Charlie Michaelman will present a pamphlet at the next Board meeting in November about transitioning from Tennis on Campus to Adult League Tennis. Pamphlet will be given to the NE Marketing Department.
- High School tennis pamphlets about the tennis scholarship will be prepared to be handed out at the Coaches meetings to all high school coaches. A committee consisting of Sandy Sweet, Steve Cohen, Frank Laliberte and Courtney Smith was formed.
- Courtney Smith volunteered to post items for USTA RI on Instagram.
Meeting adjourned at 5:25pm.
Anne Sullivan, Secretary