USTA Rhode Island Board of Directors – Minutes – October 7, 2019 CLCF, CRANSTON RI
Board Members In Attendance: Doug Chapman, Steven Cohen, Mo Raissi, Sandy Sweet, Anne Sullivan, Ryan Harry, Paul Brazenor, Frank Laliberte, Courtney Smith, Terry Charles
Absent: Randy Osga
Also in attendance: Christy Bennett, TSR, Charlie Michaelman, RI Local League Coordinator, John Jasionowski
Doug Chapman called the meeting to order at 7:18pm.
Secretary’s report: Minutes from the last meeting were reviewed. Moh Raissi made a motion to accept. Sandy Sweet seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Treasurer’s report: Reviewed and filed.
President’s report: Doug Chapman gave the President’s report.
Adult League report: Anne Sullivan and Charlie Michaelman talked about the 2019 Adult League seasons.
USTA New England report: Christy Bennett reported the following:
1) Community Outreach in Newport
- Newport Tennis & Fitness will begin winter programming at the YMCA
– ACE-ing Autism
– red & orange ball classes: K-4
– Adam Zaccaro & Wayne Turner will instruct
- Team FA ME will begin fall and winter programming at the Boys and Girls Club of
– Grades K-4
– During regular after school program
2) Junior TeamTennis
- TennisLink goals-107; TO DATE-20
– winter season should have 90-100 register & goal will most likely be reached
- Team Challenges goal-49; TO DATE-303
3) Central Falls-most likely will build a courts, but the city is still looking for additional funding;
4) Shawna Fors will be conducting seminars across the section for coaches, parents, and players to discuss Competitive Pathways Changes for 2020. R I will be November 25,2019 at 12:00PM at Center Court;
5) Four Pawtucket Elementary schools received Net, Generation Equipment Kits on Fridays Oct 4, 2019. They may do some kind of press release in the future.
JTT Report: The Winter league is forming now. Forecourt is adding a 14 and under team and there will be a team out of East Bay this winter. There are 303 players registered for Team Challenges.
High School Report: The main draw for the girls’ individual tournament will be held on Oct. 18-20. The playoffs for the high school teams will be held the following week.
Randy Osga made a $160 donation to the Judy Brucks Scholarship.
Tennis on Campus: Paul Brazenor prepared a pamphlet that will be reviewed by Doug Chapman and forwarded to the NE Marketing Dept. for printing.
- A date for the 2020 High School Coaches Workshop will be announced at the next Board meeting.
- There were only two applicants for the NE Tennis Weekend scholarship – Tara Thibaudeau and Tina Schroeder. They are the same two attendees from last year. Paul Brazenor made a motion that the USTA RI board pay only the registration fee and any on court sessions attending. Motion was seconded by Courtney Smith. Vote was 6 against, 2 for and 1 abstention. Ryan Harry made a motion the pay the $250 tennis scholarship to the two applicants. Sandy Sweet seconded. Vote was 6 for, 3 against.
- A Tennis Weekend Policy was created. Frank LaLiberte made a motion that going forward no full scholarships can be awarded two consecutive years. Terry Charles seconded. Vote was 7 for, 2 abstentions.
Meeting adjourned at 9:25pm.